5/22/10 The curse is finished. Everything will be made new. John is told to write because the word of God is faithful and true, which is the description of Jesus among the church of Laodicea. Laodicea is the overcoming church. And the language here connects this passage with Laodicea in the chiastic structure.
Then he said to me, “It is done.” What God in his foreknowledge began is now finished. It was necessary, but now it’s done. The Alpha and the Omega, beginning and end, these were the claims of the the goddess Hekata in Greek mythology. So John would have been familiar with them. Now, anyone who is craving immortality and life with God, it’s completely available to them. It’s available freely to the overcomers.
Overcoming isn’t easy but it can be done in the grace and strength of God, and the reward that awaits is the worth it. Our reward will be God as our Father and we as his sons. We will not be just another created being, as incredible as that is, but we shall have a special status as sons of God.
However, there will be plenty of people who will not receive this reward.
• The cowardly: those who were ashamed to accept God’s grace for overcoming, too lacking in mortal fortitude.
• The faithless: those who didn’t believe in a way that was life transforming.
• The abominable: those who are vile, unclean, and overall picture of the opposite of beauty of character.
• Murders: those who do not care for life either physically or spiritually.
• The immoral fornicators: they are the prostitute-chasers. That was one definition of the Greek word. This is spiritual language, which ties in with the prostitute on the beast in Rev 17. These are the ones who deceived and believed lies about God and followed after Babylon.
• Sorcerers: Those dealing in the occult and supporting Satan’s side of the conflict.
• Idolaters: those whose most important priority in life is themselves.
• Liars: spiritually speaking those who deceived people and painted a wrong picture of God thereby causing God to lose some of his children. God will not let such activity go unpunished.
To see completed studies, podcasts, and sermon videos by Jeff Scoggins visit www.scoggins.biz